Monday, June 28, 2010

If Laundry and Pounds were Dollars and Words

It never ceases to amaze me how hard it is to strike a balance in life. Why do we have too much of the things we want less of (pounds, laundry) and too little of the things we need (dollars, words)? And, oh, what tangled webs we weave because each seemingly different thing is hopelessly interrelated.

I often feel that trying to find balance in life is trying to solve a messed up Rubick's cube. If I spend less money, I have to buy cheaper, less healthy foods. If I buy fresh, organic foods, I spend more money. If I keep up with the laundry, I write fewer words. If I go to the gym, I write fewer words. And let's not forget that if I stay up and make my word count, I usually end up eating too much.

Anyone out there have any hints? I haven't even started on the issues of spirituality and balancing children's activities with family time. Or trying to create a social life with other married couples so your children won't be deprived of other friendships.

I'm the master of making things more difficult than they ought to be, so feel free to enlighten me!

2 comments:

  1. I've given up on a happy balance. Someone is always on the losing end of the deal.

    I've taught my son how to cook and wash dishes. He's in a competition to wash dishes better than me. Tee hee! He really fell for that one, didn't he? So we spend time together cooking and cleaning. Two for one deal!

    I've given up on television. I use my television time to write now. I can sit in my big bed with my laptop and cuddle with my child as he watches Scooby Doo. It's like a buy one get one free deal.

    My son has decided he wants a washboard stomach. I don't know if almost eight year old boys can have one of those. He's pretty close. I can see the definition. Now he's determined I should have one too. Bless his heart. Now we exercise together. Another two for one deal. Hopefully I'll be on the losing end of this one (get it?).

    My husband tends to get left out so every once in a while (read nightly) we all (wife, child and four dogs) crawl into his lap for some cuddle time. Fifteen minutes of the extra, oh, say 230 pounds total sitting in his lap is all he can bear! Again, a two for one deal no, wait, even better ... a seven for one deal.

    Baby steps, it's all about baby steps. And deals ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robin, thanks for the baby steps...I'll have to keep that in mind. : )

    ReplyDelete